In 2010, Herdade da Comporta Foundation made a survey on local population living needs, covering all 7 villages comprised within the Estate: Carrasqueira, Possanco/Cambado, Comporta, Torre, Brejos, Carvalhal and Lagoas/Pego. This study aims to serve as common basis to working together with the community, in partnership with local authorities, building on a sustainable future alongside developing real-estate tourism projects in Herdade da Comporta.
Herdade da Comporta Foundation was established in 2004 with the aim of developing, promoting and sponsoring cultural, educational, scientific and social-care activities. This will improve the quality of life and increase the cultural knowledge of the people living in the area of the estate. (article 4 of Foundation statutes).
The Social Project:
I - Isabel Theodora Project:
Social re-housing, with the main objective being to rehabilitate, maintain and normalise the situation of HdC’s housing assets, in which poor families are currently living as leaseholders and/or former employees of the estate.
II – Risk Prevention Project, with two lines of action:
1) EIP (Early Intervention Program) aimed at children, youth and families at risk with close collaboration of various entities in the field - Social Services, Schools, Family Support Centres, Child and Young people Protection Committees, GNR (local police).
2) OPE (Outreach Program for the Elderly) also in close collaboration with institutions which work in the field (Social Centres, Town Councils, local police) to protect and dignify the elderly.
III - Sociocultural and Educational Projects, with three priority areas:
1) PCEA (Program of Cultural and Educational Action) aimed at children and young people from the villages. This program supports school and academic attainment; development of creative activities linking the heritage of traditional culture and future prospects.
2) Cultural and festive events programme.
3) Adult Education, in collaboration with Job Centres, vocational training and possibly other local businesses.
Herdade da Comporta Foundation was originally financed by Herdade da Comporta and Alcacer do Sal and Grândola Municipalities. It is currently financed wholly by Herdade da Comporta and counts non-financial partnerships with local public entities.
The Foundation participates in both municipalities Insertion Local Nucleus (NLI), Social Action Local Councils (CLAS) and in the Alentejo Litoral Supra-Council Platform. Local community, national and international support is very important for us.
Click here to download the brochure.